Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years, fresh starts... same subjects!

We have been busy little bees.  It seems like 3 kids (or more) does that to you.  We had a wonderful Christmas break traveling to Oklahoma and seeing all our family there - what a blast!  Thanks to Mom and Dad M for hosting the par-tay. :)  It was so good to see everyone again, we don't get to do it often enough.  The kids were fantastic even through the 15+ hour drive - hardly a peep.  We are blessed, I know.

Vacations are not complete unless someone throws up, so Caleb and Rachel both complied.  Thank goodness for washing machines and spot shot.  Ella saved hers until New Years Eve, so we rang in 2011 by giving her a bath after she had slept right through creating a stinky mess.  Cheers!  Really, who could ask for more adventure?  We did have plenty of cream soda to drink, so everything was great.  It was good to visit with all the extended Thygersons before Ella's sickness - thanks guys.

We are officially half way through our school year and Caleb is tired of doing the "same things," like reading, writing, and math.  He still likes science and social studies.  This week he informed me that he already knows everything, so he does not understand why I keep making him do more work every day.  (He says as he rolls his eyes at Mom.)  I just smile - giggle almost - because I'm pretty sure I said similar things in my youth. But how does the saying go?  Something like... the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know... the beauty of experience, I guess.  But don't tell Caleb.  He would lose all faith in me as a teacher. :) he he.

Ella is excited to be starting dance classes again, and has gotten over the bitter disappointment of not getting a 4-wheeler for Christmas.  She was really, truly expecting Santa to bring her a real 4-wheeler (NOT a toy) and it took a good week before she stopped bringing it up.  I tried to explain that those type of things are something a whole family gets, not just one big girl...and not for a Christmas present.  She insisted that she would share.  We might hear more about this around her birthday time.  Good thing there are a lot of months for her to think about other things!

Rachel is a little parrot and - all of the sudden, it seems - it talking up a storm.  Every day she comes up with something new and Kip and I look at each other with a silent "I didn't know she could say/do that, did you?"  She is growing fast and refers to my belly as "baby" or "ball."  She is petrified of the OB, and sobs the entire time we are in an exam room (waiting room is OK), but hopefully with time it will pass.  Until then, suckers help.  Next week is the ultrasound, so hopefully baby will cooperate and we can find out a gender.

Then...(drumroll)...CRUISE!  Yay!  Warm Carribean waters, here we come.  Swimming with the stingrays, tubing through the caves, eating dinner with fancy names that someone else cooks.  Should be a blast!

No comments: