Sunday, February 4, 2018

A "mild" winter

It's been about a year since we first toyed with the idea of a possible (if unlikely) transfer to Jackson.  I don't have an exact date for when Kip first mentioned the Jackson office opening and we thought, "What the heck, we'll go take a short family vacation and check it out;" but it was the first of March that we were actually *in* Jackson, checking it out...so, yes, it must have been February when we began discussing.
It seems unreal now - a year ago, I NEVER would have imagined that we'd be here, living in Star Valley, Wyoming, building our life away from Colorado and the 13 years we spent there.  But, here we are.
When we made our maiden trip last March, we ended up smack in the middle of a record-breaking snowy winter.  Something like 90 inches of snow in the town of Jackson itself, just between December and February.  It snowed the entire weekend we visited and there were drifts everywhere easily over 4 or 5 feet tall, down through Star Valley as well.
Compared to that introduction, this winter has been relatively "mild."
We didn't get our first serious snow until late December, and even now the grass is poking out along the side of the road where it's normally covered for another few months.  (The view above is from our driveway about 2 weeks ago - most of that is gone now.)  I know we'll get more snow before the season is over, but it was raining yesterday and today because the temps were so warm.  Raining!  Pretty crazy to get rain in January, from what I understand.  I'm new here. ;)
Despite the rain yesterday and today, Thursday into Friday brought a messy snowstorm, which made the morning commute rather yucky.  On my way into work on Friday, it was slow going, and close to Etna I stopped near and later passed an accident on the road.  There were lots of people pulled off to the side, fire trucks, ambulances, etc., and even a school bus.  I remember thinking how glad I was that the busing system here is so organized and efficient; that even if the driver had to stay at the scene and give a statement as a witness, the kids were well on their way to school on a separate bus.
I was wrong.
I arrived at school to learn right away that the bus had been *involved* in the accident - it had hit a car that lost control directly in front of it - and that all the kids were still on that bus.  It was OUR bus, the #3 Octopus, and my kids had been there for almost an hour while the emergency crews worked the scene.  WHAT?!  Kindly, the school office assistant (and my ward friend) told me to be on the receiving crew for the affected students, who were all arriving at our school shortly and would need calm adults to help process them through the nurse and be on their way.
Which also meant, I could see my babies in person and hug their cute faces.
Whew.
All of the kids on the bus were physically OK.  A few were emotionally shaken up.  Most went about their day just fine.  All of my kids were OK, and wanted to finish out their days at school.
But it was certainly a wake-up call.  Life is short, and precious, and I never know if when I put my kids on the bus in the morning it will be the last time they will see me or vice versa.  It was a sobering reminder to be more patient, more present, and more grateful for the time that I have.
And certainly also more grateful for the "mild" winter so that the snowy morning commutes have been few in number.
Sometimes it's the small things.
On a lighter note, this week I also had the opportunity to go snowshoeing with the 4th graders from my school.  It was so fun!  I've never been snowshoeing (that I can remember), so I got paid to try something new and read a book on a bus ride.  Woot!  We went to the entrance of Grand Teton National Park, which is closed for the winter but open for field trips! (Photo credit: random 4th grader.)
Ella and I are currently working together on the 6th grade play, McKinley can read and write much better and is constantly making lists for every purpose under heaven, Caleb has skied twice with Ski Club and enjoys his computer applications class, and Rachel enjoys dance and has recently been excited about writing her own stories and poems.
I was concerned that we'd get cabin fever, or the winter blues, or that the cold weather would seem eternal, but so far - so good!  Today I am once again grateful for life, family, friends, opportunity, and of course, mild Wyoming winters. :)

No comments: