Tuesday, April 14, 2009

liberties reserved for the very young...or very old

Life continues to get back to normal around our house as we round out week #4 post-birth. Rachel continues to do well and be a pleasant, easy baby. I thank my lucky stars that she doesn't seem to have any dairy allergies like so many of my friends' children. They then have to go off of dairy (which can make you crazy if you aren't used to it! Milk and/or whey is in a LOT of products) or use formula, which is difficult if it's not your first choice. So, yay! Kip and I were laughing early this morning as he got ready for work, because Rachel was going to town trying to work out some gas, grunting like crazy and passing gas off and on. Those are the liberties I was referring to in the title - only the very young and very old can get away with grunting and passing gas with no worries about what other people will think. And they can both wear diapers without shame. Caleb was the one who mentioned that. We were talking about how only babies wear diapers, then when you get old enough to talk and walk, you can learn to use the potty and wear underwear. "So," I concluded, "only babies wear diapers." Caleb added, "Or really old people." We laughed. Yup, I guess that's right.

We had a nice Easter holiday and enjoyed the chance to talk about the Resurrection with the kids. It's fun to see their little minds work and their eyes light up when they figure something new out. There's also a cool new short video the church made from Elder Holland's conference talk, you can see it at lds.org or I posted it on my facebook page. He gave such a great message.

We tried a new method for enjoying Easter baskets....Sunday night we just let the kids go to town and eat their entire baskets (which weren't super full, but a lot of sugar at once). Our theory was that by doing so, the treats would be done with, and I wouldn't have to spend all week (or two) trying to ration and decide when to have treats, and whether they ate enough lunch or dinner, etc. And eating it myself. It's just done. And so far it seems to have worked - I'm a fan. Caleb was concerned yesterday that there are no more treats in the house ("Can't we go to the store and buy more??!!") but Kip and I are making an effort - starting this week, as planned - to shelf the sugar habit anyway. We need to eat less, the kids need to eat less. So I know there might be painful withdrawals around our house for a bit, but we will all survive and hopefully be the better for it. Treats are still part of Family Home Evening, of course, and I'm sure we won't COMPLETELY abstain, but here's to a healthier us. Cheers! We went to the grocery store this morning for some more sale strawberries (jam time!), and I didn't even LOOK at the clearance easter candy. Victory!

Things are starting to green up around here, and we are looking forward to spring, summer, our garden, camping, and all the fun that comes with this time of year. The giant snow mound in the back is almost gone and will probably only make it to May, not July like I thought. We got our yearling raspberry shoots and cold-hardy blueberry bush in the mail this week - we can't wait to see how they do!

No comments: