Sunday, February 7, 2010

who moved my cheese?

So at the Shaw Company meeting a few weeks ago, they talked about how the company has to change to fit the needs of the economy etc, and they handed out a copy of the book "Who Moved My Cheese" to everyone to read.  From the cover: "An A-mazing way to deal with change in your work and in your life."  We did not know that they meant for us to read and apply it's principles RIGHT NOW, like finding out that Kip is transferred to a project in Grand Junction effective now.  In the book, two mice and two people have to run a maze and find cheese to eat; the mice are always prepared to keep looking for new cheese wherever that maybe, while the people get upset when the cheese is moved to a new place (which is of course pointless and unproductive).  So, I did take a day or two to yell to the universe, "HEY?!  WHO MOVED MY CHEESE?" but we are excited for this new adventure and everything that comes with it.  Tentatively Kip is going to travel back and forth for the weekend and possibly Wednesday nights (for scouts); I will likely remain here through May to finish out the school year and get things cleaned and packed at the house.  Could change, we'll see.

In other news...actually I can't think of anything else right now.  I know that some amusing things have happened but I can't call them to mind at the moment, so this might have to be part one of the letter, with part two to come when I can remember the other things I was going to tell you all.  Happy Sabbath to everyone!
 
PART TWO!  (Later...)
Did I mention that I made chocolate chip cookies with mashed up pinto beans instead of shortening?!  Yes, indeed as part of our avoidance of hydrogenated oils, I have been trying to replace the shortening in recipes; sometimes with butter, sometimes with oil...I came across some info on using mashed beans and gave it a whirl!  They smelled kind of funny but once they were cooked, you couldn't taste the beans.  They were more dry than other cookies over time, but fat free and a good source of protein!  I know, you're all dying for the recipe.  I can send it your way if you want. :) 

Caleb got more "yellow faces" this month than any other month (bad behavior warnings) but his teacher sent home a note to the parents that the entire class was getting too colorful (red and yellow faces instead of green), so I didn't feel too bad.  The kids have been wired lately, but I'm convinced that part of it is the time of year - it's been winter for a while and we're all kind of tired of it, but spring is still a while away.  We always survive, but it might mean more trips to the church gym to burn off energy practicing soccer!  I think Ella is going to try smart-start soccer this year (they don't really play any games) and she might be the kid counting dandelions or cloud watching instead of kicking the ball.  She's kind of funny that way.

I've been wondering if hormones start at age 4.  Lately everything makes Ella cry.  Like if I get onto her for ANYTHING - "Ella, no more drinks, four is enough, go to bed please."  Sob, sob, sob.  Then we have to go through this whole routine of me saying "what's wrong, Ella?" and her saying something along the lines of "I don't like you to be the boss," or "I don't like you to be mad at me," then I apologize but remind her that I am the boss, and she's fine.  Rather tiring, but I think I have to do this for what, like 15 more years?  And Rachel too? he he.

Rachel is our resident mover and shaker.  She "dances" (bobs her head and body) anytime and anywhere there is music or rhythm, grocery store, printer printing, refrigerator farm, anywhere.  She is so funny.  Caleb likes to carry her more now, although the first time he asked to carry her standing up, she spit up on him, and he gagged and handed her back to me. :)  He took her again after I had cleaned her up.  He also decided one morning to get her out of her crib by himself - and remember, he's only 3 feet tall.  We didn't even know until she came crawling into our room one Saturday morning before we had gotten up!  He tried to do it again the next morning and dropped her on her head.  Whoops.  We made a new rule that he can't get her out of the crib by himself yet.  Does that negate the fact that I successfully kept her from ever rolling off my bed?  I can't believe she's going to be one next month!  Time flies.

Better go spend some quality time with my cute husband before he leaves for work in the morning.  We will miss him while he's gone during the week!  Hopefully this time will pass fast and we can get out there with him soon!

No comments: