Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What's in a name?

At church this Sunday, Ella drew this picture:
She loves to draw and write, so this is pretty usual for her.  She called my attention to the three people on the bottom left - facing backwards with long hair - and said they were Ella, Rachel, and Rosie (her new sister).  I thought it was very sweet of her to think of her new sister.

Then, at dinner tonight I was talking with the kids, asking them what names they liked since our new sister is almost here and we haven't picked a name.  The older two looked at me like I was nuts...

Ella: We already picked one.  Rosie. 
Me: Oh, yeah (remembering picture).  I remember you liked that one.  Caleb, what do you like?
Caleb: I liked Rose - or Rosie - first.  Then Ella liked it.
Me: Oh.  So you both pick Rosie?
Ella and Caleb: Yeah.
Caleb: What do you and dad like? (Kip is in Denver)
Me: Well, we like a lot of names.  What do you think of (choosing a name from our very long list)...Lindsay?
Caleb and Ella: (looking disgusted) No.
Me: Oh, okay.
Ella:  And also I hate the name Ella.
Me: Oh, okay.  (changing subject)  Who's almost done with dinner?

What a crack-up.  So, if a few weeks go by and our sweet little girl is named Rosie, you will all know the story about how she got her name!

1 comment:

J. said...

this cracked me up! i have to say that Rosie is a very good name but i may be biased. of course i am leaving this comment after the fact seeing as you chose to name her McKinley Katherine. very beautiful and unique and i love that you shared your name with her.