Monday, August 8, 2011

I know I'll laugh about this someday...

I think we've officially been too long in a motel.  We rounded out our fifth week today, and in the last week or so we've broken a hanger and a glass, colored all over the bedspread with green marker, and set off the emergency alarm in the elevator. (Or alligator, as Rachel would say.)  Rachel stepped off the ledge in the hot tub, but luckily I was close enough to jump in and save her.  We finally did figure out why all our room cards kept getting de-activated - turns out you can't store them next to a cell phone, credit card, or electrical car door opener.  Things you learn...

There is a light at the end of the tunnel...we do have a contract on a house in Parker.  The first offer didn't work out because they wanted to take forever (7 weeks) to close; the second offer was terminated when the inspection showed mold, and a roof that was about to cave in, but it looks like the third one is a charm.  It has the same floor plan as the first home we offered on, which was exciting, and they were a little lower price and willing to close faster.  Yay!  If all goes well we close at the end of the month.
Having a contract means I can enroll the kids in school, which I feel a need to do since school started last week.  Who starts school on August 1st?!  Apparently Douglas County does.  So today after dropping off our earnest money check, we went down to their school to fill out registration papers. (Caleb wanted to try public school, as did Ella)  The kids did OK as I filled out 1 jillion different papers, then I turned them in at the front office and waited just another minute while they copied the supply list for me.  At that moment, someone pulled the fire alarm.  Someone standing right next to me.  Named Caleb.  Pulled.  The. Fire. Alarm. At. School.  The principal came running out wanting to know who did it (Us, right here!), then the ENTIRE BUILDING had to be evacuated while they tried to contact the fire department to let them know it was a false alarm.  Oh.  Holy.  Cow.  It was drama, Caleb went and hid because he didn't want to talk to the firemen, and everyone else just waited until things settled down and they could go back inside.  In the end he did not have to talk to the firemen, but he did have to go in and chat with the principal about not pulling or pushing ANYTHING at school.  Yes.  We are not even registered yet and have already gone to the principal's office.  Do we know how to make a grand entrance, or what?
On another note, we headed back to Grand Junction this weekend for our niece Jody's baptism, and had a great time visiting cousins and family.  McKinley got her first shots and weighed in at a whopping 10 lbs, pretty much a giant in our family.  Fun times!
It's late and we get to go school shopping tomorrow, so I'd best be off.  Goodnight! :)

1 comment:

Darcy Case said...

Awesome! We miss you guys already. Good luck in Denver.