Sunday, March 18, 2012

Corned beef, cabbage, brakes...and a birthday!

We had a pretty normal week around, then a stellar weekend...I guess I should begin with out big birthday girl, Rachel, who turned three yesterday!


She had a great day - kids are so easy to please when they are young. :)  As the kids have grown, they get to choose the meals we eat on their birthday, and the older ones have started having big friend birthday parties...they don't remember that when they were Rachel's age, things were much simpler.  Caleb and Ella kept asking who we were inviting to Rachel's birthday party ("Just us!") and asking Rachel about her party ("Shhh!")  They were trying to influence her meal choices ("Rachel, what do you want for breakfast on your birthday?  Donuts?  Do you want DONUTS?!") I tried to explain to them that she was still young and perfectly happy to eat green waffles and juice (which she was) and have a party with our family (which she was).  As long as we take care of cake, ice cream, and presents, life is good.  She loved all of of her gifts, she didn't mind having very helpful helpers opening gifts with her, she got to play at the park, eat a bunch of treats - yup, life is good.  She loves tagging along with her big sister and hero, Ella; she likes trying to play with McKinley; she can sing just about any song after hearing it a few times; she charms everyone she meets; she loves to dance and do somersaults, play outside, read stories, help mom cook, pick flowers, play Barbies, and take baths.  We love her and are so glad she's in our family!

In other news, Caleb started soccer this week.  He had his first practice on Wednesday and his first game on Saturday and he did great!  He scored two goals and had a fun time and is looking forward to the rest of the season.  We love seeing him play, he enjoys it so much!

Also - and this is a big one for me - Kip fixed our brakes.  They have been squealing now for a while - only the front brakes, and only in reverse - but it has gotten progressively louder.  And louder.  At one point last fall, I was talking to my next door neighbor and something like, "Hey, I'm sorry about my loud brakes, I took it to Midas and they said there was nothing wrong, nothing they could do about the squealing." (truth).  They replied, "Oh, no big deal...  But hey, we know these really great brake guys at this other place, maybe they would know something.  I've heard that dust on your brakes can make them squeal..."  So, yeah, they noticed.  Last week we finally took it to the other brake guys, who said the pads were fine, but they were semi-metallic and would always squeal unless we put on ceramic ones.  Oh, okay.  So Kip put on ceramic ones and VOILA!  No squealing.  Truly miraculous.  And the neighbor said, "Oh, THANK you!" :)  You are so welcome.  And now, if I need to run to the store late at night because someone, I don't know, loses a tooth or something and the tooth fairy has always left gum in the past (this happened)...I can drive there without waking  up the entire neighborhood when I leave.  Yippee!

1 comment:

Darcy Case said...

glad you got the brakes fixed :)