Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lego age warning

It goes without saying that Caleb is big into Legos.  BIG into legos.  And his reading has really picked up speed this year, so he can get through most anything.  Those two things together mean he can read all the advertisements and instructions on his Legos, where before he just looked at the pictures for a while.  Advertisements like: "Enter online for a chance to win a PRIZE!"

Caleb: When will my prize come in the mail, mom?
Me: Well, honey, it's just a chance to win something.  Probably hundreds of kids have entered and only one will win something.  I think they'll send me an e-mail if you win.
(Next day)
Caleb: Mom, did my prize come?
Me: Nope.  Remember, if you win, they will probably send an e-mail.
Caleb: Can you send THEM an e-mail to see if I won?
(conversation continues in similar fashion for a number of days)

He comes by it honestly, I have to say.  My dad would always give me the Publishers Clearing House Mailers and I filled those things out religiously, sure my big payday was coming.

He also noticed the age warning on the package that says "Legos are not for children 3 and under," so anytime Kinley gets close to his stuff, he hollers "No Kinley!  Legos are not for children age 3 and under!!" Same words every time.  Tee hee.

Caleb is also turning out the be a little entrepreneur.  On vacation in Arizona, he was fascinated by the mines and specifically by the sparkling gems and crystals, and the idea that he could use them as currency or sell them for big money.  When we got home, he noticed that many of our little rocks in our backyard SPARKLE! So he and his buddy Zach set up a rock store so all the neighborhood kids could get in on the action.
If you can't read the sign, it says "friends are less than strangers.  come now thayer's (there's) a lot of crystals waiting for you kids!"  So, if you are a friend, they'll cut you a deal.  They made 25¢ (from the missionaries that rode by); Caleb is now ready for phase 2, selling crystal rocks door to door.  I'm not sure when we'll have time for that, but he's ready.

Ella had fun at the grocery store on Friday; she brought her change bank and dumped it into the counting machine - something the kids have wanted to do forever - and walked away with a crisp $5 bill.  Nice!  She is super excited about her trip to the Downtown Aquarium tomorrow with her class.

Kip and I had another health screening this week for health insurance; we had one before spring break for life insurance.  Blood work, pee in cup (yay!), questionnaires.  I have to say health screenings are one time (of many) that our religious beliefs sure come in handy.  "How much would say you use nicotine products?"  "None.  Ever." "In the last 5 years?"  "Nope.  Never ever.  Ever."  Woohoo!  "Have you ever been convicted of DUI?" "Nope."  "How much alcohol would you say you consume on a daily basis?"  "None.  Ever."  "In the last 5 years?"  "Nope.  Never ever.  Ever. "  Woo hoo!  Our numbers all looked great, cholesterol, triglycerides, sugars, BMI, good, good, good.  Which is wonderful!  But it does give me zero motivation to spend my life exercising, cause, well, my health is great!  I know, that's not the right attitude, but I will revel in it for a while. :)

Last night was a service auction at church to raise money for girls' camp this summer.  We ended up with a car detailing, some babysitting (4 hours for $15!) and for only $28, a handy-dad to come do whatever we need him to for 2 hours.  YES!  He's going to help Kip pull the stump from our giant cottonwood in the backyard.  And if there's time leftover, I'm sure we can find plenty more for him to do. 

We are busy little bees, it seems like there are always many more things to get done than there is time to do them.  But we have fun and are especially enjoying watching McKinley figure out how to go up stairs (but not down yet) and wave bye-bye.  She loves to bang on the piano when I hold her on the bench, and eats all the time.  She tried watermelon this week and loved it!  She's growing so fast, I try to snuggle her as much as I can.  Sweet girl, good times.

No comments: