So, Thursday we went to a (huge) working farm, where we could pay a small fee to get in, ride around on a tractor, and harvest our own food. It was fun and the kids and I had a great time...but that being said, Caleb summed it up at the end when he said, "Farms really stink. They smell bad." :) True story, they do smell bad. Lots of fertilizer. When we hit the cabbage field, the mom next to me reached over and did the lift-and-smell-your-kids-butt thing, and I said, "I think it's just the cabbage field." It was. We picked carrots, corn, cabbage, onions, leeks, celery, pumpkins, squash, gourds, beets, potatoes, and tomatoes. I forgot to bring the camera, but that's probably a good thing, because this was no leisurely stroll through the garden. It was jump off the tractor trailer as soon as it stopped, dig food like mad crazy people, and get back on before Mr. Tractor-driver revs his engine and leaves. It took almost 3 hours to hit all the fields, and believe me I was sweating by about field 2. The kids had a blast, we lost three of our four shovels, McKinley ate a LOT of dirt, and then we treated ourselves to honey sticks when we were done. Yum. Then after we drove the hour+ back home, I realized that the work is just beginning, since now I need to process and store all this food...doh! Did you know the best way to store onions is in pantyhose? The things you learn...
The kids did love their first day of Monday school. To clarify, this is just a once-a-week program for homeschoolers to get together and have classes like PE and computers together. There are 5 other third graders with Caleb. The first grade class is bigger, more like 12 kids or so. They had a great time and the little girls and I went and had free breakfast at IKEA and played at a park. Rachel was a little lost without her buddy Ella, but she gets to hang out with her the other 6 days so it will be okay. Rachel also started a little playgroup/preschool co-op I'm doing with two other moms, so she has a little time to play with her 3 year old buddies Wednesday mornings. And for me, the best part of Monday school was that Caleb's karate teacher gave them strict rules that they were not to practice on other people, just by themselves. They are only to use karate if someone else is physically hurting them. Thank you, karate teacher. :)
Caleb won his football game this week, although he did get clobbered and was not happy about that. Ella got to play with her friend Bella again, when my friend Debbie came up from southern CO for Time Out For Women in Denver this weekend. It was a nice weekend for us moms and we had a fun time with the Thygerson gals who came over the mountains too. Kip was super dad while we attended TOFW, thanks honey.
This week, I am getting my car detailed for the first time ever. SO excited. I got some coupon thing a long time ago and Tuesday is the big day. It will be like having a new car! Can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment