Sunday, December 9, 2012

Our karate kid

I love the movie Karate Kid.  Not the new one.  I won't even watch it, because I protest.  I'm pretty sure it's just awful.
I mean the original, the classic, Ralph Macchio Karate Kid, circa 1984. 
 Yes, that's the one.  See the tag line at the bottom?  "Totally irresistable."  True story.  If I remember my family history correctly, this movie is the one that got my big brother interested in karate as a kid.  (He got his black belt...10th grade?  11th grade?  Help me out Rob.)

I had taken Caleb to one karate class before, because the local school was offering a free class.  Except he was only four and it didn't go so well.  The instructor did his best to convince me that he could begin lessons if he wanted, but I thought he needed another year or two before I would pay for karate lessons.

Fast forward a few years, and I asked him again if he wanted to take karate.  His response: "Mom, I already mostly know karate." Okaaaaaayyy...

This year, when he started his Orchard Options program, he wanted to try karate because they offered it as a 6th period.  I love it - he is learning valuable lessons, it is part of his Monday schedule so I don't have to take him another place at another time, and he seems to really enjoy it.  In November, in the midst of the busyness of the Savior of the World production, I went to watch his first test.  It was fun!
 
 
He is now officially a white belt.  Good work, Caleb!

No comments: