He asks me every time. But hey, he sees lots of patients. So I tell him, "Utah" like every time, and he says, "OH, really?!' Like every time.
So then he asks about that and I tell him that Kip and both had pretty major filling work done after college when I got a teaching job and insurance.
He says "Oh, do you still teach?"
I say, "Well, I teach my own kids because we homeschool."
Silence. He says "So what are your plans, are you going to do this all the way through, or integrate them in before high school?"
Me: "Well, I kind of take it year by year. I think for my son we might go all the way through, for the girls, I don't know, we'll see."
He then went on to tell me that homeschoolers need to be integrated by high school or else they WILL NOT go to college. EVERY homeschooler he knows - save one - has not gone to college. That ONE only went for one semester and then quit because he couldn't cut it. EVERY ONE OF THEM didn't go to college because...they don't learn how to complete work on a deadline, how to attend class regularly, and how to stick to a schedule.
whaaaaaaaaat?
That seems to me to be rather a broad generalization. Not that he's lying, but if EVERY homeschooler he knows has not gone to college and failed to develop some of the skills he mentioned, I wonder exactly how wide his pool of people is...like 3?
Just so happens that today I also saw this funny list via facebook...it gave me the giggles; maybe it will for you too. (Most of these headlines and photos were taken from a post at buzzfeed.com) If you want to know why I homeschool, or what our day is like, I'd be happy to tell you all about it. :)
What Being Homeschooled Is Actually Like
Everyone thinks they know what homeschooling is like.
And it can be really hard to explain why their assumptions are wrong.
People think your parents are like…
When really, your relationship with them is just extra-awesome!
People think your social life looks like…
And is the 'socialization' at public school really that awesome?
Many older homeschoolers take supplemental classes at a community college.
You even have the freedom to take on an apprenticeship, volunteer positions, or a job.
Texas Home School Coalition interns.
But we are also totally awesome.
Actress/writer/gamer/nerd-queen
Felicia Day was homeschooled throughout most of her childhood until she
began attending college at age 16.
Illustrator and writer of cute
animals, Beatrix Potter was schooled at home by a private governess. She
once said “Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have
rubbed off some of the originality.”
“Study without desire spoils the
memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.” -Leonardo da Vinci,
who wasn’t formally schooled.

No comments:
Post a Comment