After scripture reading last night, Caleb asked a profound question: Could we please cut off his middle toe? He only wants four toes instead of five. What? We had to ask him to repeat his request several times to make sure we were getting it right. Then we told him that, no, we can't cut off a toe. He said, "Why? It would hurt?" Yes, a lot. And it would make you walk funny. To which a disappointed Caleb sighed, "Oh."
Ella added her own deep thoughts in the car: the kids were fussing about whether the snow was cold or warm. Caleb insisted it was cold, Ella was equally sure it was warm. I came to Caleb's rescue and told Ella that snow is indeed cold, and wet, which is why we wear our snow clothes to play in it. She responded with, "But I have jaguar eyes to see in the dark!" (from Go, Diego, Go). What? At least the argument was over.
The kids are full of boundless energy and we're working hard to keep them entertained in productive ways. Kip sledded with them some more on Saturday, and built their first snowman in the backyard. There was some nice new wet snow to work with. He put in a carrot and peanut face, which promptly fell out into the snow and has since most likely been dinner for some lucky foraging animal.
Caleb is starting to be more reasonable. One night while Kip was working downstairs and I was upstairs fixing the corner knob on Ella's bed, the kids moved their rowdy selves from downstairs with Kip to Ella's room with me. I had the trundle pulled out since I have to flip the entire bed upside down to get the nut and bolt and fix the knob. I asked them several times not to jump on the bed, which they can't resist when the trundle is pulled out. Finally it was time to push it back under the bed, and I looked right at Caleb and said, "I'm pushing the bed back under. Don't jump on it." He processed that for about 3 seconds, then jumped down onto the trundle. I gave him a quick smack on the bum, and his face crumpled and he ran to his room and the comfort of his blanket. Kip came upstairs and saw him in there, and asked what was wrong. Caleb said I had spanked him, and Kip asked why. Caleb told him, then, through more tears, explained, "Mom was right and I was wrong!" (sob, sob, sob). He still does not make that connection when he is "the zone" - hyper and completely focused on his objective, be that what it may - but we're making baby steps.
Ella prides herself on NOT being in as much trouble as Caleb. Anytime he gets scolded, she reminds us that she is not doing it. Example: "Caleb, don't pick your nose." Ella: "I not picking my nose, mom." "Caleb, don't throw the cars." Ella: "I not throwing the cars, mom." She also insists, "I NOT NAUGHTY, MOM" anytime I speak to her in less than a happy chipper voice, whether she's being naughty or not. :)
Kids. They sure make life fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment