Sunday, September 5, 2010

finding friends

...like this one, who took up residence in our backyard.  (Maybe 'finding friends' is the wrong title.  It should say something like "finding disgusting scary critters that need to die quickly.")  Kip had the job to kill it, but first he wanted to offer a little grasshopper as a last meal, which I admit was fascinating to watch.  Mr. Spider nabbed him quickly and wadded him up, then, true to character, appeared to bite him then suck out his insides.  Like I said, fascinating.  Then, of course, he suffered death-by-upside-down-compressed-air.  Caleb smeared him on the rocks afterward just to make sure.  Whew.  That little guy was about the size of a 50-cent piece.

In other news, school is going GREAT!  Caleb declared on Friday that our school was way better since it was shorter and we did lots of fun stuff. :)  The kids and I are loving it.  This week included wind socks, transportation graphs, miniature Nile River models that we are hoping will grow grass for us, mosaic art pictures, and so much more.  Even math and reading are fun!  We plan to read chapter books along with our regular studies, about a chapter a day, and we started with a youth version of The Odyssey, which is awesome.  What could be cooler than cyclopses, ladies that turn people into pigs, cannibalistic giants, and an angry sea god?! 

We also tried our hand at mountain biking, since this area happens to be a mecca of mountain biking.  Kip had done it before, but it was the first time for me and Caleb.  Caleb did great!  He was a such a stud, flying down the mountain on his bike.  I was not so sure my first time, since I was on a borrowed bike and intimidated by a really great rider right behind me...but Kip took me back on my own bike (thanks also to Darrin and family) and it was a lot of fun.  No major crashes yet, but I will try to bring the camera next time just in case, since I hear it's pretty common!

We're looking forward to a day off of work and school tomorrow, I'm sure we'll come up with some grand adventure to have!

No comments: