**Warning: the beginning of this post contains graphic material, which may be unsuitable for some people who don't like to read about bodily problem and solutions associated with preparing for a marathon. You have been warned...**
Saturdays are Kip's "long run" days as he prepares for the marathon in November. Yesterday was 20 miles. In this process, we've learned a lot about how to help your body survive running so far, which I don't think it entirely normal. Chaffed nipples, bum cheeks, toes, or thighs? Enter: Body glide.
The original anti-chafing stick. Beats medical tape by a long shot. Problem of chafing, solved. Sore joints, and swelling (knees mostly?) How about a nice ice bath? As in, dump all the ice from the freezer into the bathtub, then climb in and sit there for a while. And try not to scream like a little girl. This all sounds so fun, I just can't believe that I'm not doing it with him!
Also, don't forget to bring along some toilet paper in your pocket, because it is rather common to have digestive emergencies in the middle of the run and stop and do your business. EW!
And finally, what about the fact that you're burning 2000-3000 calories in a matter of hours? Enter: sugar products, a whole new category in our budget. Gatorades, "gu"s, (gel shots that pump you full of straight unadulterated sugar plus caffeine and other stimulants), protein bars, and pasta. Lots of it, for dinner every Friday night. Luckily, the kids are thrilled about pasta night.
Oh wait, don't forget the special running gear (those lightweight fabrics are actually quite awesome) and frequently replaced fancy running shoes...ta da! One marathon. Kip has said, more than once, I think - "Why do people do this?" I am very impressed and proud, and we will be excited when he runs across that finish line in November.
In other news, we made a chicken mummy this week, which should be ready for wrapping right about Halloween time, yes!! Ever buy $20 of salt in one grocery trip?
If you ever wonder what Rachel does while I am working with the kids, this should give you a good idea:
But she's so darn cute, you can't help but love her to pieces even when she empties every bucket, cabinet, and box of everything in the entire house. (here she's modeling Caleb's soccer cleats. Have I mentioned she LOVES shoes?)
The kids went to the dentist and have no cavities. I completely and totally forget Rachel's 18 month check up. (It was scheduled, I just forgot to go). Whoops. Ella danced, we partied at the Fruita Fall Festival, Caleb scored more goals, and the kids practiced for the big annual Primary Program which is today. Should be fun!

1 comment:
It is about time that Kip starts bringing his own toilet paper, because I am tired of him using all of mine.
Post a Comment