Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Blue and Gold, Wild-West Style

Last week was the annual Blue and Gold banquet for Cub Scouting, and Caleb's last pack meeting. (Side note: WOOOOHOOOOO!  I do not like pack meeting!  No more pack meetings, ever!!)

But, my personal feelings aside, I really did enjoy attending this one.  I usually miss because of young women's.  This was special for Caleb because he earned his Webelos badge, a slew of activity badges, the Conservation Award, and the Arrow of Light.  Which is big news in Cub Scout land (and required a small amount of panicked last minute work on my part, which of course is why they hand out mother pins).   The Arrow of Light is the only award that carries over into Boy Scouts and can worn on the new uniform shirt.  So they kind of make a big deal about it when a boy earns it.

Bad news: pretty much every photo that I took that night is blurry.  I have no idea why, but I'm a little bummed.  Here is Caleb waiting with some others to receive his activity badge awards.  His cowboy hat is because of the wild-west theme for the night.
With Cubmaster Russell Nicholls, who later changed for the Arrow of Light Ceremony...
(Good News: Someone else took this non-blurry photo and sent it to me!)  Here, Caleb is lighting the symbolic fire for Arrow of Light, and Russell is a Chief.  Caleb had to drink "buffalo blood" and then walk across a little wooden bridge to symbolize his transition from Cub Scouting to Boy Scouting.
There's the bridge, with the cubs (blue shirt) and the 11 year old scouts (tan shirts) helping him across.
 His 11-year-old Scoutmaster, welcoming him.  They both look thrilled.  Not my best-timed shot. ;)
At the end, they had a guy come in who is a falconer, and talk about being a falconer.   The kids loved it!  At one point he did take the bird's mask off, but then the the bird was so busy looking around, all the photos are blurry again. :)  So this was the best shot. 
 
Congratulations, Caleb!  On to Scouting!

No comments: