Monday, April 20, 2015

Could this week get any worse?

...I know, the answer is YES, it could, and now I should knock on wood before fate comes and bites me in the butt. I remember complaining once to a friend that my whole life consisted of "tending kids and pulling weeds."  She replied, "Could be worse."  As I thought about her situation - fresh from leaving an alcoholic husband and trying to get back into the workforce to support herself and her three boys...I felt like a jerk for whining.
But really.
Was it necessary to come downstairs and find the dog had eaten a pull-up from the garbage (ew)?  So what do you do if your dog eats a diaper?  Internet wisdom had two answers:
1 - he will be fine.
2 - he will get the swollen diaper lodged in his intestines and need surgical intervention, or die.

Wonderful.  I called Kip in a panic (he was in Silverthorne) and he in turn called a veterinarian friend in Grand Junction, who said there were 2 possible outcomes:
1 - he will be fine
2 - he will need to vomit up the diaper (by drinking hydrogen peroxide) so it does not get stuck (see number 2 above).

Wonderful.  There is no way I could explain to the kids that their new dog died because I hoped he would be fine after eating a diaper, and it turned out he wasn't fine.  So more internet searching ensued, and I learned that I needed to get him to drink 4 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide for his size...so that's what I did.  Contrary to all intuition, I gave our dog hydrogen peroxide to drink.  And, like magic, 10 minutes later, out came the diaper...and everything else he had eaten that night.
I know, this picture is kind of gross, but I couldn't help it.  Sometimes I'm very proud of what I have to do myself when Kip is gone.  And I love how he is looking at his mess - like "What just came out of me...?"  And well, I have 4 kids.  This is not the worst thing I've ever had to clean up - it was actually not even that wet because the diaper had sort of absorbed everything.  TMI?

Same week, different day, I was picking the kids up from Orchard Options.  The parking lot is narrow, but I've never had a problem before.  This particular day as I backed out, I heard the horrible crunching, squealing noise that means I have hit or run over something.   Oh no.  I looked back and saw that someone directly behind me had backed up at exactly the same time as me...and we had backed right into each other. We both pulled back forward into our parking spots, and came out to survey the damage.  IT WAS MY OLD BACK NEIGHBOR!  I was the one who told her about Orchard Options!  I give her daughter a ride in the mornings!  What are the chances?
The damage to our bumper was pretty minor, but I dented the heck out of her rear panel.  In the end, it was an absolute blessing that we ran into each other - if we had to run into anyone - both of us felt at fault, but after our spouses looked over the cars, we all ate popsicles and called it good.  Neither of us plan to repair our old cars, and since we are friends we can just call it good without calling insurance companies. 
  
Plus I found out that I am losing another counselor in young women, darn it.  That makes 100% turnover since I was first called to serve in young women - I must smell bad or something.   But if I have learned anything in the past 18 months, I have learned how to be more flexible and roll with the punches.  And if all else fails, I always have ice cream.  It will never leave. (Unless it's BlueBell, and gets recalled for Listeria poisoning...but I prefer Dreyer's anyway).

No comments: