Monday, February 1, 2016

Metal Mouth

We have our second metal mouth in the family (3rd of you count me, I guess, but that was a long time ago and I am really OLD).  No braces for this metal mouth, though - not yet, anyway.  Instead, McKinley was the winner of a semi-permanent appliance glued in place to prevent her from sucking her thumb.

The dentist, bless his heart, came out to talk to me after all 4 kids' cleaning appointments in January.
Dr. Matt:  Do you have an orthodontist already?
Me: Yes, we go to Dr. Hoggan.
Dr. Matt:  Yes.  Good.  I am sorry to say it, but you are probably going to put his kids through college.

Doh!

In particular he was worried about McKinley's mouth, which had already developed  across-bite and was showing some malformation that would require a palate spreader at an older age.  You don't have to tell me twice - I had to have one of those, I know exactly what he's talking about!  (I was a finger-sucker.)  We had tried the bitter nail polish with McKinley, and it worked for a day or two at a time, until she licked enough off and could suck her thumb again.  We tried warning her, "If you don't stop, Dr. Matt has to put metal in your mouth!"  Her response?  "I want metal in my mouth!"


So she got it!  Once it was cemented in, she was not very excited and said never mind, she did NOT want metal in her mouth.  Too late, dear!  The first week or 2 was rough - very emotional little girl who can't suck her thumb for comfort anymore! :'(

It stays on for at least 90 days, at which point they will evaluate whether it needs to stay on longer to prevent a relapse.  But, hopefully, it will help a little in preventing further problems in her dental and orthodontic future.  That sounds like a good plan!

No comments: