Last year - 4 homeschoolers
This year - no homeschoolers
That's right, after pondering, praying, touring, talking, and researching...all four kids are going to public school here in Wyoming.
There are a variety of reasons, the top 2 being:
*No one else here really homeschools. There are not any of the same type of programs or co-ops or groups to participate it. There are no rec programs in town, for sports or other classes to be involved in. The winters are really long and snowy. So...the 5 of us, cooped in a small-ish house, all day every day, with no where to go and nothing to see. Hmmm.
* The schools here are different. They are smaller, with classes sizes around 20 instead of 30. They are more traditional and less political. They are more rural, with more down to earth people, both students and staff. They are well funded.
There are other reasons, but those are main 2. Caleb was on the fence until he saw that his middle school has shop class, then he was sold. Shop class! Who still has shop class? See what I mean?! Shop class.
So without further ado...back to school photos, very early in the morning, before catching the 7:10 bus to three different schools!
8th grade - Star Valley Middle School
6th grade - Etna Elementary
3rd grade - Thayne Elementary
1st grade - Thayne elementary
Getting on the bus - first time ever! Caleb even has to transfer half way through.
I know it's lame to take pictures of food, but I was so excited (and nervous) the whole day for them. I cleaned and caught up from the busy eclipse weekend, but I made sure to have cookies and snacks ready for the when they got home so we could chat in the kitchen about their first day. I was thrilled to play a different kind of role - the mom waiting at home to be the cheerleader and cookie maker, rather than spending the day refereeing and assigning tasks and homework.Don't get me wrong - I liked homeschool and the liberties that came with it. I would not be against going back to that route. There were lots of advantages and it was the right choice for our family.
But...I am also excited for this new chapter in our lives.
As a side note...as if things weren't already turned upside down, I put in an application to be in the substitute teaching pool. I've heard they are always needing people, and it seemed like a good way to be little involved in the schools with my kids and re-enter the work force (in a small way) after a 13 year absence.
In the end, I was hired to work as a Title 1 Aide (giving extra assistance to kids in math and reading) at Etna Elementary, where Ella is in school. Whoa! I am a working lady! Back to school for everyone!







No comments:
Post a Comment