For the last, I don't know, LOTS of years we've been reading the Old Testament because one of the kids requested it. I think it was Ella, but I'm not positive. We are in Jeremiah, so I think we will finish it before anyone graduates high school, woot!
One early morning, as we read Jeremiah chapter 2, we made it to verse 23, which includes the phrase, "thou art a swift dromedary traversing her ways."
I stopped and asked the kids, "What does dromedary mean?" - *certain* they would know the answer after our many trips to the Denver and Tulsa zoos and learning about two-hump vs one-hump camels.
But, alas, both Ella and Rachel shouted out, at the exact same time, "DRAMA QUEENS!"
Um, no. *face palm*
But we all cracked up and Caleb set us back on track by reminding us what a dromedary actually is. Thanks dude.
Another recent family tradition, which has been a twist on our Friday Movie Night, is watching the Netflix episodes of Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Rachel and I have both been reading (all thiiiirrrteeeeen) of the books, and while I had heard that the old Jim Carrey movie was "meh," the kids found the newer ones and our interest was piqued.
In book the fifth, The Austere Academy, the Baudelaire orphans meet a very unpleasant little girl named Carmelita Spats. She makes a habit of mocking and insulting the orphans, and singing distasteful little songs. At the table, Rachel was trying to remember the name of this dreadful little girl, since we were getting ready to watch the Netflix episode for book number 5.
She asked, "What is her name again? Chlamydia?"
Um, no.
LOL! In this case, none of the kids new what that meant (kids, if you're reading this and still don't know, go use a dictionary, ha) so I was able to keep a straight face and say, "No - Carmelita I think?" It was a little surprising because Rachel can remember almost anything, and she forgot this character's name...but WHERE in the world did she learn the word chlamydia?!
Oh, dear.
Bring a parent is a hoot.
No comments:
Post a Comment