Tuesday, June 16, 2009

picky, picky, picky

Okay, so this week is inspired by none other than our picky little eater, Caleb. Almost every single night for dinner, he makes a big production about how he "DOESN'T WANT THAT" - whatever it is - "IT IS YUCKY AND I DON'T LIKE IT! I DON'T WANT TO EAT IT!" Exceptions are made on pasta nights ("MMM, I smell noodles!") or taco nights. He yells and fusses and throws fits. He usually gets foods he'll eat for lunch, like sandwiches, noodles, and hot dogs. But so help me, I will not eat those things for two meals every day! Here's the kicker, though, folks. Here's what really gets me: this is the same child that will eat sidewalk chalk, boogers, mud, paint, and dirty "silica gel do not eat" packages from the Target parking lot. We had to leave the park today because he insisted on dipping his pretzel snacks into the murky puddles in the play area. He protests that all of these things are delicious. "But boogers are yummy to ME."

What the heck. That's all I have to say about that. WHAT THE HECK.

On a less exasperated note, the rest of us are eating well and feeling good.

Rachel is great. :o) She smiles all the time, seems to be growing bigger by the minute, and looks like she's going to be a drooler. The front of her shirts are soaking wet, he he. Caleb was that way, too...I hope that isn't some weird foreshadowing that she'll be screaming at the dinner table in another 3 or 4 years. "I DON'T WANT THAT! IT'S YUCKY!" Whoops, there I go again. I made Mongolian beef for dinner last night and it turned out to be quite spicy, but so far it hasn't bothered Rachel yet. What an awesome baby!

Ella gave a little talk in church on sunday and did fine. My children have no problem talking in the microphone, not shy at all.

Me: Ella is going to tell you a little bit about our family.
Ella: (darth vader breathing into microphone)
Me: Who is in our family Ella?"
Ella: I don't know.
Me (whispering): Mommy, Daddy, Caleb, Ella and Rachel.
Ella (whispering): Caleb, Ella, Rachel.

You get the idea. Fun times.

A construction company in Vail was terminated this last week, which means a total of 5 families are moving from the ward within the month. That's 1/2 the Young Women Presidency, the entire cub scouts, two primary teachers and a counselor, the ward chorister and librarian, among other things. Ouch. Kip and I figure I will be getting a call soon since "only" being the activites chairman won't cut it anymore.

We made some new health goals to help us out - including trying to be ready to go to sleep by 10:30. Teeth brushed, scriptures read, talking out of my system (thanks for listening, honey) IN BED by 10:30. Here's hoping we get some more sleep. Rachel is doing her part by sleeping most of the night now - all night sometimes. The other kids have always been pretty good sleepers. Caleb even cleans up his own bloody noses without waking me. Awesome.
'
We love life!

No comments: