One of the beauties of the Mesa Valley Vision school is the school year, which runs from July1 to May 31. So, during the "summer," I can count Caleb's soccer camp, swim lessons, tennis camp, etc., all towards his P.E. hours for the school year. Awesome. So we are already racking up the hours even though I am not starting class instruction until the end of August. Totally awesome.
The kids are loving all their lessons; along with the ones I mentioned for Caleb, Ella is also in swim lessons and gymnastics. It is fun to put them in everything at this age because it is all still so cheap; we figure as they get older and it all gets more expensive, they will have to choose what they want to do. Hopefully they'll have a good varied base of things to choose from. As for the swim lessons, hopefully they will learn not to drown in standing water.
We are still enjoying summer very much, although staying in during the very hottest part of the day. Last weekend we went back to Gypsum for the hugest party on the planet, Gypsum Daze. Ryan Allen, Kip and I all ran the 5K - it's sort of tradition now - and Kip and I posted our best times ever. yay! (You too, Ryan?) The parade started with the military helicopter flyovers, one of my all time favorite parade things ever, and the kids got to jump on lots of bouncy castles and slides. Then we cleaned up, filled our tummies (thanks for everything, Sarali!) and headed back to Grand Junction for the 5 stake youth dance festival that they've been working on since January. Each stake was assigned a decade and had to choreograph, learn, and then perform all together. It was really very fun. Our former stake (Meeker, CO) had something like 200 kids participate, and included the stake president appearing at the end dressed as Elvis. And our nephew rocked a blond afro and some sweet bling. The kids did a great job and I'm sure some new crushes were developed over the whole process. :) It was great to see many of our friends from Gypsum and Eagle.
This week was busy with the usual. Every now and then we did something really exciting, like ride our bikes to the library so we could (here's the exciting part): chain them to the stegosaurus bike rack. WOO HOO! (I'm convinced that enjoying life is all in the attitude!) The kids have had a blast playing with their cousins this week and ask me pretty much anytime we leave the house: "which cousins house are we going to?" If we're only going to City Market, well, at least they have free cookies. :)
I found out this week that JoAnn Fabric in GJ is going out of business, and while I am sorely tempted to go spend oodles of dollars on fabric and crafts..I...must...resist. I asked the kids what they wanted to be for Halloween, so at least I would have a project in mind to shop for, but I think our costume bucket is plenty loaded from past years of hitting post-Halloween sales. Ah, well. So long, JoAnn. It was fun while it lasted.
This week has been the Mesa County Fair, and I was a little nostalgic looking at the open class entries and remembering Bessie...but we had a great time watching the Grand Champion Swine selection, the Wild About Monkeys show and hitting a few rides. We're actually heading back later tonight for (drum-roll, please) the Demolition Derby. It is entirely possible that Caleb will wet his pants from excitement.
No comments:
Post a Comment