Thursday, October 14, 2010

On a RAMP-age

A few weeks ago, Caleb decided that what he wanted more than anything was a bike ramp.  It all came about one Sunday morning when I went out looking to see why everything was so quiet in the house, and the kids were in the front yard riding their bikes.  Okay, fine.  Except that when I looked up and down our street, I saw that they had moved landscaping rocks from our yard into the sidewalk to make little obstacles for their bikes.  And they had done the same in yards up and down the street.  Everyone's landscaping rocks, in the sidewalk.  We live in a sort of desert, so pretty much everyone has rocks in their yard.  Doh.  I had them stop and we went and put everyone's rocks back in their yard.  I said (thinking it was offhand) "Maybe we can get dad to build you a ramp or something so you don't have to move everyone's rocks to the sidewalk."  Ta-da, an obsession was born.  For days he wanted to know if dad would build his ramp RIGHT NOW...he even drew a little picture of what he wanted it to look like.  Miracle of miracles, around this same time, giant concrete forms were being thrown away at work, which, with a little help from the saws-all, turned into a perfect bike ramp.

Sometimes Ella has a hard time getting enough momentum...
 Then she gets it!
 And Rachel prefers to use it as her personal slide!
We were definitely the envy of the neighborhood for a while.  Now, the only thing I need is a little fairy dust to move it back and forth since it weighs about a thousand pounds...

1 comment:

Staigerfamily said...

What a great dad! That is so awesome that he actually built it instead of brushing the kids aside. love it!

and . . . you are right . . . that does look like a lot of rocks! Ironically, I just gave my preschool kids a two week warning to try and find a rock bigger than a golf ball to bring to school for our rock unit :) They aren't so plentiful around these parts :)