Friday, February 18, 2011

7 spanks!

Caleb celebrated his 7th birthday in style this week - but he actually did not get seven spanks.  He did get $19, Lego base plates, 5 new Hot Wheels, a money bag, a watch, and a dig-n-build dinosaur skeleton.  He declared this the most awesome birthday ever.  I think I remember him saying that last year, too, so we must be doing something right.  As you can see, we had a sports theme, so the house was covered in paper sports balls and I made some cool cookies instead of cake.  Cake, well, everyone licks off the frosting and throws the rest away.  I had fun doing the frosting for these instead!
Hard to believe that it's been 7 years since he was born!  He is sure a big helper around the house, doing little chores, taking care of Rachel, etc.  I've realized recently how grown up he is getting because of small freedoms that have come around...like him staying home with napping Rachel while I run Ella to dance class (up the road), or riding his bike by himself 2 blocks to basketball camp.  Little things like that can sure make a big difference for me, when it means not waking the sleeping baby or loading everyone in the car for a short trip, so I appreciate his eagerness to be all grown up.  This week he asked me why only grown-ups get to worry about everyone else, because a constant refrain around here - for all kids - is "Don't worry about (fill-in-a-name), just worry about yourself."  He really wants to worry about everyone and is a little upset that grown-ups get the corner of that market. :)

He finished basketball camp this week and loved it, so it's now added to the list of sports that are awesome.  He makes sure to go outside and practice soccer on the trampoline (ours has a safety net) any time that the weather is good enough, and could probably run 50 miles a day if I could keep up with him.  He is a fun little man to have around and we love him lots!

No comments: